CITS-Library management System
A Library Management System (LMS) is an enterprise resource planning system for a library, used to track items owned, orders made, bills paid, and patrons who have borrowed.
An LMS usually comprises a relational database, software to interact with that database, and two graphical user interfaces: one for patrons, one for staff. Most LMS separates software functions into discrete programs called modules, each of them integrated with a unified interface. Examples of modules might include:
- Acquisitions (ordering, receiving, and invoicing materials)
- Cataloguing (classifying and indexing materials)
- Circulation (lending materials to patrons and receiving them back)
- Serials (tracking magazine and newspaper holdings)
- The OPAC (public interface for users)
Each patron and item has a unique ID in the database that allows the LMS to track its activity.
Larger libraries use an LMS to order and acquire, receive and invoice, catalog, circulate, track and shelve materials. Smaller libraries, such as those in private homes or non-profit organizations (like churches or synagogues, for instance), often forgo the expense and maintenance required to run an LMS, and instead use a library computer system.
The rise of Web/Cloud based solutions
The use of web/cloud based library management systems has increased drastically since the rise of “cloud” technology started. Many modern cloud based solutions allow automated cataloguing by scanning a book’s ISBN.
CITS-LMS is a simple Library Management System designed for libraries which are generally small and medium in size (School, Colleges, Offices, Shops and small Libraries). It is used by librarians to manage the library using a computerized system where they can record various transactions like Book Information, Member Information, Memberships, and Issue of Books etc.
The system is designed to manage Paper/Printed books and e-books. It has a simple and easy to use web interface which allows library management and statistics to be accessed on a computer. It offers the complete range of library/collection management functions including: reminder system for overdue books and a book.
The system also includes the request system which allows the members to request for new books or to make available more book of particular genre.
The system can be implemented in various education streams and industries:
- School/Colleges: Library and Laboratory Management for schools and colleges (Applications support multiple library management).
- Rental Business: Renting out bikes, luxury cars, party supplies…
- Offices: Library and Asset Management for offices.
- Shops: Book sellers (New/Old – Customizable) and Stationary shops.
- Small Libraries: Instrument, Audio/Music and CD/Video Libraries.